Tuesday 24 September 2013

Saving not spending

Todays Blogtember topic, Review a book, place, or product, seems like the perfect opportunity for me to tell you all about a recent read of mine that not only resonated with my life on so many levels, but has driven me to take to take a serious look at my spending habits.

Sadly over the past year or so I've had little time for reading. I devour blogs, magazines and newspapers but, traditional books? I simply haven't had the time. That being said, when I do find time I tend to not be able to put books down, easily getting lost in a world of the authors creating.

The last book that did this to me was In The Red by Alexis Hall.
The diary of a recovering shopaholic, In The Red was recommended to me by Zsa Zsa, who spent the best part of a week cramming in the reading of chapters at every available opportunity.

On almost every page there seemed to be an anecdote about Alexis' life that rang true to things that I've done in the past, or am still doing now. Such as buying an oversized fascinator in the M&S sale for when I go to the races.

I have never been to the races, nor am I likely to.

Although I don't have any debt (aside from my student loan, but who really counts that?!), reading this book has really got me focused on saving not spending and I have a number of posts lined up detailing my latest efforts to avoid frittering my cash. 

Namely, making muffins for breakfast rather than buying one from Pret. Every day.

Basically, if you like to shop, read this book. It's an eyeopener. 

This post is part of Blogtember, the brainchild of Jenni over at Story of My Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...