Tuesday 10 September 2013

Life changes, in the blink of an eye

Today's Blogtember topic is, Describe a distinct moment when your life took a turn.

Originally I thought I'd make this post about the decision to take my Masters (as that one choice is really the reason I'm working in fashion retail, which is something I'd always wanted to be able to do) but when I really started to think about it there is another more important thing that I've done that caused my life to change for the better.

In 2010 I was starting to feel myself again. I'd lost three stone, had embarked on my Masters course and was really enjoying life, when my cousin and her now husband Rob invited me to go on a group holiday with them and some friends to France.

Now, on New Year that year I'd said to myself that for my resolution I would start to take more risks, embark on new challenges and just generally that if something scared me, I should do it anyway. It was that resolution that encouraged me to say yes to the holiday, when in previous years I would probably have said no.

This was a holiday that would involve extreme heat (not my fave), swimwear (a daunting prospect) and scariest of all, boys. But in the spirit of my resolution I bit the bullet, booked a flight and began contemplating possible swimming costume cover ups.

I'd split up with my last boyfriend seven years earlier and since then had spent precious little time in the company of the opposite sex, let alone contemplated meeting someone new. So the thought of spending seven days in close proximity to two of Becki and Rob's male friends that I'd never met before filled me with dread.

The day of the holiday dawned and I was still feeling anxious but I needn't have worried and we set off for the Loire Valley in good spirits looking forward to a week of relaxation, laughter, good food and fine wine with new friends.

The first night was just Becki and Rob, me and their friend Mike, who I'd never met before. He immediately put me at ease and made me laugh as we sat outside talking on that first evening, and I can't really explain it but I already felt a spark of something special.

It's now three years later, we live together in our beautiful home in Fulham, we love each others families as if they were our own and are actively planning and saving for our future together, and this has all happened because I took a leap of faith and pushed myself out of my comfort zone.
 This post is part of Blogtember, the brainchild of Jenni over at Story of My Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...