Sunday 18 August 2013

Time for tea: Fortnum and Mason with Mother

I love spending time with my Mum and Dad, as my many, many trips home each year prove, but this last Thursday I decided that with Dad and The Boy at the Great British Beer Festival it was time for some quality mother-daughter bonding.

Finishing work at one, I rushed down to Piccadilly where I scooped up a rather bewildered looking Mother from in amongst the tourists and headed straight for Fortnum and Mason ready to enjoy a spot of afternoon tea.

Having been to afternoon tea in London before with my best friend last year, I knew what to expect and was sure it was an experience Mum would love, and I wasn't disappointed.


Afternoon tea at Fortnum and Mason is nothing but class, all duck egg china and grandeur, not what we're used to at all but a lovely change all the same. 

With 85 different teas to choose from, Mum and I spent a while deliberating, but I decided to start with the Wedding Breakfast Blend - made to celebrate William and Kate's wedding. How very regal.


We went for the traditional Afternoon Tea, which includes five different types of sandwich, fruit and plain scones, jam, clotted cream, and assorted cream cakes and pastries. Basically a dieters nightmare but we all deserve a treat from time to time.


Everything seemed so small and delicate but each item was delicious and filling, so maybe the second plate of sandwiches we ordered was something of a mistake!


I went for this raspberry topped beauty from the cake trolley - but took it home to enjoy later, as I was feeling well and truly stuffed. Mum took a slice of the Battenberg for Dad to enjoy on the train home.


The special touches, like this art deco tea strainer, really added to the glamour of the whole experience, especially when drinking my Black Tea with Apple which included chunks of real apple.


Our table over looked the Royal Academy and was perfect for people watch, both inside and outside the tea salon.


The Tea Salon was really a beautiful place to while away a few hours - I'll definitely be back.


We left full and happy, took a stroll around the shop and admired things we could never dream of affording, before ambling across to the Royal Academy for Mum to see the amazing textile adorning the front of the building as part of their Summer exhibition.

I must confess these pictures were taken on a different day - as the London weather decided it was time to pour down just as we headed outside, but you get the idea.

It was a lovely afternoon of nattering, delicious food and exploration in London town. We met the boys at Kensington Olympia at 6pm, having walked the whole way from Piccadilly, through Knightsbridge and along High St Kensington, for a brief catch up before Mum and Dad headed off to catch their train home.

The only downside was that the whole day felt like a Friday, which was a shock when I woke up the following morning and realised there was still one more day until the weekend. Damn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...