Monday 26 November 2012

A rainy Saturday at The Reformation

On Saturday I got up bright and early and jumped on a train to Reading to meet Mum and Dad for a day of fun in the countryside.

We had big plans to spend the day helping Uncle David clear out the house but, naturally, we stopped for a spot of lunch at the local pub, The Reformation at Gallowstree Common, where a serious log splitting competition was taking place.
Clockwise from top left: Dad enjoying the log splitting competition (I guess we know where I get my double-chin issues from, well, other than all the food that is) - The gorgeous exterior - Log splitting galore, even in the rain - Jean went for an Avocado salad with a side of fries 
 
Having been brought up by a Father who loves real ale I have become something of an authority on outstanding pubs of the British Isles - and the Reformation is up there with the best for me. I love a pub that provides me with a roaring fire, delicious (and well priced) food, a friendly atmosphere and that thinks outside the box. Not only could I warm up with a mulled wine but a selection of other Christmas themed drinks were available - including winter Pimms, always a firm favourite.
Clockwise from top left: My ensemble for the day (slicked back hair and a hood to keep off the rain) - Perusing the menu by firelight - The gorgeous pub sign - Nothing better than a fire when you've been stood in a wet field

Being a squeamish sort, I could only watch about ten minutes of the log splitting for fear of glimpsing someone chopping their thumb off, but I loved the idea! And being quite chilly outside I was more than happy to retire to the pub where I could curl up by the fire and enjoy a plate of food and a natter with Mum and Dad.

Clockwise from top left: The main event - Famous friends - My first mulled wine of the year - Mum went for Grilled chicken with gnocchi
Clockwise from top left:Log splitting in the rain - I went for a burger, delish - All signs point to The Reformation - Wrapped up against the cold
 
We'll be visiting my Uncle quite a lot over the coming months so I'm looking forward to spending many more lazy lunchtimes in The Reformation with my family - probably working our way through the food and drinks menu.
If you're in Berkshire and are looking for somewhere to stop for lunch or dinner, or even just a drink by the fire in a welcoming setting be sure to check out The Reformation - all details can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...