Tuesday 17 July 2012

The ties that bind

Brace yourself, this is set to be an overly sentimental post-it's strange what a holiday can do to a person. A little time away from the daily grind, in a different environment, with people you truly care about can really make you see how lucky you are.
 
 

It's funny how easily people can come into your life without making too big of an impact, and it can end up feeling as if they've been there all along. I've never felt this more than on my recent holiday to France for my cousin Rebecca's wedding. 

We have a family tradition for the cousins (me, Mark, Gareth, Megan, Matthew and Rebecca) to have our picture taken in both height and age order and, having recreated this childhood image as one of Becki's wedding photographs, it's strange to think that once there were only six of us. Ali (Gareth's wife), Mel (Matt's wife), Robert (Becki's husband) and Michael (aka The Boy) all play such a huge part in any family gathering that now we're very much a ten rather than six. It's not often that we get to gather as a group, normally only at weddings or special events, but when we do it's like no time has passed, and with everyone getting on so well, I truly feel blessed to have such a wonderful family. I'm not going to lie, as someone who finds large scale social gatherings somewhat of a challenge, I used to approach family  occasions with some trepidation. But over the past few years, with many a wedding and milestone birthday, these gatherings have become more frequent and now I look forward to seeing everyone and catching up on what everyone's been up to.

Had it not been for Becki and Robs wedding this holiday might never have happened but I'm so glad it did, I was in dire need of a break from everyday life and what better holiday is there than good food, fine wine and great company?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...