Sunday 20 May 2012

Random Wednesday: getting in the swing of things

Firstly, apologies are in order. I feel I've been a bit neglectful of the blog lately, not for want of trying (I literally have so many topics I want to blog about that I'm scribbling things down and writing draft posts every five minutes) its simply been due to a lack of time. Ah time, that elusive thing that when you need some more it just slips through your fingers, and, when you wish things would hurry up, it seems to take an age. I've simply been spreading myself a bit too thin of late and something had to give (as usual this turned out to be the one thing I wanted to do the most). 

Last week was The Boys birthday which called for major planning on my part (more of that later) and it also coincided with the final week of my online visual merchandising course, which meant many a night spent creating moodboards and writing reflections until gone 11pm (way past my usual bedtime). Still, it's all done and dusted now and I can really focus on what I love: spending time with The Boy, being creative and blogging away to my hearts content.

So, although this week was crazy busy I still managed somehow to find time to try out a new type of exercise with the girls. Namely, Anti Gravity Yoga at the London Academy of Performance and Dance. Now I know what you're thinking, me (the girl with absolutely no upper body strength at all) hanging from the ceiling by a length of fabric? This is pretty much a disaster waiting to happen. But I actually had an amazing time and best of all it was exercise that was actually (whisper it) fun.

Kirsty in action, one of the instructors shows us how it should be done

We headed down after work fully expecting to pretty much spend an hour sitting in a hammock (a common misconception it would seem) and came away feeling not only that we'd worked out but also fully energised and stretched to within an inch of our lives (a good thing). The classes are essentially a series of yoga postures done whilst either hanging from or supported by a long strip of silky fabric which is bolted to the ceiling. I'm not going to lie, some of the poses were tricky, but almost every one was loads of fun to try and it felt almost like you were simply messing around rather than actually exercising. Needless to say, Kirsty put us all to shame with her fitness abilities as usual and was hanging upside after what felt like minutes of starting. I struggled with some of the moves due to my lack of upper body strength but my sheer determination to at least manage each one once was a work out in itself (which I could feel every time I opened a door for the following two days).

LAPD is a dance fusion company and runs classes in various locations all over London but its main base is at Old Street Dance Studios, a friendly, quiet studio which was really easy to get to (but less easy for Zsa to find using Google Maps - my advice, check the address before you set off). LAPD currently have classes on discount through Living Social and their website but hurry these offers end soon.

Sweat-working, the branch merch way

Find out more about the London Academy of Pole Dancing on their website, twitter or facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...