Tuesday 10 April 2012

Date day dissected

Last weekend I was lucky enough to be treated to a "date day" with The Boy, as for once we had nothing else planned for our Saturday, so we hopped on the tube and ventured over to Greenwich to spend the day exploring the area. I'd only ever visited Greenwich once before, years ago with an old school friend and her family, and I was pleased to find that it had lost little of it's charm. I think one of the things I like most about the area is that it's easy to forget you're in London at all, more that you're in some quaint town in the heart of the English countryside. I love the old houses, cute shops and fish and chip restaurants that litter the winding streets, whilst finding the contrast in the view of the skyscrapers of Canary Wharf across the river truly awe inspiring.


We spent a while wandering around the food and craft market where I discovered a wonderful homewares shop called The Home Front (basically I wanted to buy EVERYTHING), got some great Christmas present ideas (I know it's early but I like to be organised) and shared a delicious Malteaser cake from one of the food stalls. 

My main reason for wanting to visit had been to go to the Titanic exhibition, so after we'd had our fill of art and food based treats we wandered along to the Maritime museum. Having seen the 1998 film four times at the cinema, countless more times on DVD and watched many a documentary on the tragedy, the sinking of Titanic has always held my interest. To be honest I was a little disappointed with the size of the exhibition as it only filled one small room, although I did enjoy reading the letters and looking at the artifacts documenting the tragedy. It could be because we decided to visit on a Saturday coupled with the recent ITV drama on the sinking but the exhibition was very busy and battling through the crowds to get to each display cabinet didn't make for a particularly enjoyable experience. That being said, I did love seeing the clothing which had been worn by survivors on the night the ship sank, as it made the tragedy seem more real, and not just the work of the Hollywood film directors.

We rounded off the day with a visit to what is fast becoming our favourite local pub, The Cumberland Arms, with some friends, followed by a mezze style dinner at home watching Breaking Dawn (the less said about this part of the day the better: what a truly awful film that is).

I also decided that this would be the day that my Topshop rainmac got it's first outing. I bought it a few years back but had never worn it (I know, this is becoming a habit) and I must say I was pretty pleased with the result even if, due to my shape, I'm not really supposed to wear anything double breasted.


Coat: Topshop
Jeans: Dorothy Perkins
Ballet Pumps: Tesco
Bag: Hobbs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...